‘Zoology’ is a branch of classical Biology that deals with the study of wonderful life of animals, hence also known as ‘Animal Sciences’. Though evolved as a branch of classical science, Zoology today has many applicative branches that play a crucial role in the scientific, social and economic development of the society.
The Department of Zoology was established in the SSR College of Arts, Commerce and Science in the year 2006. The Department offers a full time three year Bachelor’s Programme in Zoology. The subject knowledge is delivered through theory lectures and practical that enable students to learn the basic techniques in animal experimentation that shall further enhcance their confidence to pursue their Masters Degree.
Career Prospects in Zoology
Having pursued the three year Bachelorsâ€™ Degree in Zoology, student can proceed for their Mastersâ€™ Programmes in various branches of â€˜Life Sciencesâ€™. However, with a successful completion of Bachelorsâ€™ Degree, students can explore the following sectors as their career prospects:
- Proceed for B.Ed. (Bachelors' in Education) to take up teaching positions in schools
- Teaching in higher education, academic institutes/colleges/universities (only after completing Masters' Degree)
- Civil Services like, Indian Forest Service (IFS)
- Research Officer in Pharmaceutical Industry having animal experimentation facility
- Career in Research as a Scientist in reputed National & International Research Institutes (only after completion of Masters' Degree)
- An Entrepreneur in Apiculture, Sericulture, Fish & Aquaculture, Poultry & Pest Control Services
- A Curator in the Natural History Museum or Zoological Garden
- Other Government Departments like, Fisheries Dept., Dept. of Vector Borne Diseases, Public Health, Pollution Control Boards etc
On the whole the Bachelorsâ€™ Degree in Zoology shall enable a student to become a multifaceted individual in the society and excel in his career in any of the fields with his determination and hard work.